Cheap & Easy Breakfast Skillet:
We are OBSESSED with this in my home right now. It has a variety of food groups and it pretty simple and CHEAP!
- 2.5 lbs cups Diced Potatoes (3 large potatoes) (Cost: $1.13 for 2.5 lbs. We buy the 20lb bag from costco for about $9. We’ve also used organic potatoes, for that we paid $3.69/lb at Aldi. So for 2.5 lbs it’d be $3.08)
- 1/4 c. Vegetable oil (we had this so I’m gonna guess $0.20)
- 1 medium onion (.25)
- 1 diced tomato (We got a 5 pack of roma tomatoes from Aldi on sale for $1.00 so for 1 tomato it’s $0.20)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese ($2.00 for a block of cheddar at aldi, we used 1/2 of it. So for 1/2 it was $1.00)
- 1/2 cup chopped brocolli ($4.59 for 48oz at Costco = 4oz for $0.38
- 3 eggs (we use organic from Costco, $6.50 for 2 dozen, so about $0.27 each; $0.81 total)
= Total of $3.97 for a huge skillet breakfast for 4 people! AMAZING
Optional: chopped fresh spinach, other veggies
Instructions: Chop the potatoes into 1/2″-1″ squares. Heat up the oil in a large frying pan over med/medium low heat. Add in potatoes. Cover and allow to cook, stirring every 5 minutes. After 30 minutes add in chopped onion. Continue cooking until potatoes are tender and starting to crisp. Then add in veggies, I add in a few Tablespoons of water here and re-cover, it helps steam the veggies. Start making scrambled eggs in a separate pan (or make before you start the skillet and set aside). Then top the potato mixture with the scrambled egged and shredded cheese. Serve immediately. Add salt and pepper to taste.
We used to buy hash browns and diced potatoes already chopped, shredded. But when we realized what the savings were if we would do that ourselves we dove in and have been doing it ourselves ever since. PLUS we know there are no extra added ingredients that we don’t like.
Some more pics:
I’d love to hear what your favorite breakfast recipes are! Share in the comments below: